Wednesday 23 November 2011

MORE THAN A SONG

 Count your blessings name them one by one,
 Count your blessings see what God has done,
 Count your blessings; name them one by one,
 And it will surprise you what the Lord has done.  

As I sang along in church last sunday I suddenly couldn’t help meditating on the words of this song. I have known and heard this song in Church since I was a kid, isn’t it just ironic that I only decided to sing it as more than a song that day? If anyone had looked at me at that point they might have thought I had an exaggerated expression on my face when I was singing…. Lol. I can’t blame them though because A). I was in a catholic church and we mostly wear straight faces while in church, one can rarely tell how the next person feels in there. B) They were probably singing that song for the one thousand and twentieth time so they were probably bored and wondering what the heck I was doing.

So, God please forgive me for even thinking I would succeed at doing this but I literally began to count my blessings. I began to feel a certain elation as though I was the most special person the hall. I couldn’t understand why it was me getting all the good stuff. I’m the one who has my mom and dad still in this world with me. The one who woke up hale and hearty, without a headache, a tummy ache, or a cancerous lump somewhere today. I have never gone hungry for lack of food cos God always provides. Even when it seemed like that was going to happen, it never did. How come I was not born into one of those war raging countries or in an area where they constantly live in fear of yet another natural disaster? I thought of how many times he saved me from accidents on road trips in spite of the numerous ones which had taken so many people I know.
I thought of my friends who had died, Elizabeth a dear friend, Fanen, Dorcas(God rest their souls) and so many other young people. I thought of the fact that even though I won’t mind a new job right now, I did have one now, then I pictured myself not having a job, broke and hopeless. I thought about my eye sight, my ears, my legs, my hands, my heart,  my body, my skin and my pretty face. The fact that I can work, like I have the ability to work also baffled me, because millions of people cannot do things because of one disability or the other. What a mighty God!

I thought about all the love I’m surrounded by, the fact that I have people to love me and to love. I could not think of a single moment when I felt O God, no one loves me. When I tried to count all the people who love me, it was simply impossible. It is a blessing oh! It went on and on and on till I found myself back where I started. There was no point going on, it was totally aimless counting, it was infinite!! I was indeed amazed at what the Lord had done. Ooopsie, and the mass was still on!

Take some time out to count your blessings.. Perhaps you will take thanksgiving more seriously. If a man did a quarter of the things God does for us, I bet we’ll lick his feet and suck up to him in every way. Let’s be thankful and show God some gratitude even for the littlest things. He deserves so much more than we’re giving. I know that some of my blessings are your losses, things you wish for yet you don’t have. It’s probably vice verse, cos I know that some of the things you are thanking God for, I am yet asking for from him.
Peace and love.

2 comments:

chioma said...

wow! I'm so blessed cos I really can thank God enough. Awesome write up.

Chiichii said...

Well said.
We all need to stop and think and see there is just SO much to be thankful for, in spite of some things that might hurt us, we should not dwell so much on them so much that we lose sight of the good.